About Christ United Methodist ChurchWe the people of God known as Christ United Methodist Church will be the Heart of Christ in the Heart of Sterling by LOVING GOD, LOVING OTHERS, LOVING OURS
In 1876, a sod school house was used by a group from the Methodist Episcopal Church, south, for their worship. Everyone brought their own chairs to church.
By 1884, the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, had a parsonage and brick church at the corner of Beech and Second Streets. This building seated 200 and had pews and an organ. Six years later a blizzard in 1897 damaged the little brick church and it was declared unsafe. The Methodists went back to the Town Hall. A new church building, which seated 400 people, was erected on the corner of Second and Beech. The lot at Fourth and main was purchased by the Ladies Aid for $3000, in 1907.
On April 20, 1913, all the families of the church assembled at the old church on Second and Beech and they marched to their new building on Fourth and Main, where services were held for the first time. Three years later a parsonage was erected just south of the church for $6,000.
On June 13, 1977, a fire extensively damaged the old sanctuary, built in 1912. After an extensive three and one half year process, the Building Committee led the congregation in completing the current Sanctuary, built on the same site. It was first used for worship on Dec. 7, 1980.